Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

In this Discussion

Dumb Topic #7: New Tastes or Interests In Adulthood

edited June 2015 in The Pub
We sort of covered "new habits" in another thread, but I keep hearing about that stupid study where supposedly you stop being interested in new music at 33. 

Maybe it's because music is one of my main hobbies, but this is definitely not true. I'd say my new pop tastes tend toward the nostalgic (anything synthy, new-wavey, video-gamey) but Zazen Boys are one of my favorite bands and I didn't even hear of them until my mid 30s. Plus I spend a lot of time digging into older classic rock and new wave and stuff that I missed the first time around rather than ever just listening to my favorites endlessly.

I keep pretty up to date on metal and I enjoy newer metal that doesn't sound like things I already like. My passion for completely ignorant slam metal is new and real. 

I actually think it's easy to continually pick up favorite movies and TV shows (Drive came out when I was 36 and I watch it monthly) but I wonder if it's normal to develop tastes for a whole new genre! I was younger than 33 but still a grown adult when I developed my true and abiding interest in the Step Up / Drumline spectrum of dance and dance-metaphor battle films as well as losing my taste for ACTUAL battlefilms (like Braveheart) almost entirely.

So does this count as a continually developing palate or is this just a prismatic view of regular old nostalgia? LIke Drive is a pretty 80s-leaning and Drumline and Step Up are basically just endless reimaginings of the Karate Kid and Breakin'.

Listen, just tell me if I get the points or not. 

Comments

• Tell me more about this study. Because it sounds like some shit someone just made up...
  • salsal
    edited June 2015
    I'm closing in on 31 and still listen to new music, although trends being as they are, a lot of it sounds like previous decades being recycled. so I don't know if that counts. I get seriously bored of too much 90s/00s faster and faster these days, though.
  • Okay... I don't see that conclusion in his data.

"Old dudes don't listen to Taylor Swift" != "Old dudes don't listen to new music"

In fact, that is every bit as stupid as I expected it do be.
  • I'm assuming they don't account for the fact that all adults take a deep and sudden interest in jazz and classical music at 33.
  • Generally speaking, the older I get the more I take pleasure in simple things; they're reliable and don't come with a load of hidden hassles.

I should be having a classic mid-life crisis right about now, but I think that's pretty much what my 20s and 30s were about.  So I'm kinda entering fogey mode.

I agree with Sal that new music sounds recycled, though I suppose that's to be expected for any category of thing over a long enough time frame -- like traveling, for instance.  (Screw the TSA and mosquitos.)

• I listened to music for about five years of my life. I did not listen to anything before and I haven't listened to anything since. I doubt my tastes are going to change anytime soon.
  • I definitely take longer to fall in love with things now than I did 10 or 20 years ago. The last music anything that really hit me, and that's stayed with me, is St Vincent. I'm also totally comfortable with the idea that I might not see any of the new DC universe movies, and while I loved the Lord of the Rings movies, I haven't seen any of The Hobbit. But I have been getting out to see the Chicago Symphony a few times a year for the last few years, so +1 for that.

• Side note: When will we stop having dumb topics? I want smart topics. Actually, I all I want is the start of each topic not to say Dumb Topic so I can tell what it is without having to read all of it.
  • U mad
  • It's because I'm old!

Anyway. I don't really seek out new music anymore. Just don't have the time. I still listen to it though, just through more curated spotify playlists. From those I keep a starred playlist that I listen to on random a lot. Albums are a relic of the past for me, never listen to them.

Another thing, I gave up reading books many years ago. I'll still skim some non-fiction when I need to, but I can't remember the last fiction novel I read. Just lack of time and no attention span. This used to bother me, but now IDGAF. I read enough online, so I'm not going to forget how.
  • I'm still eagerly embracing all kinds of new stuff. If I don't change my mind about something at least once a day, the day's been wasted.

That said, the current crop of charting pop/alternative music is the softest shit that's ever been made. 

Meanwhile, the kids are still playing punk rock at the warehouse, so I know it's not like an entire generation woke up and said they only want things that sound like Paul Simon or Fleetwood Mac, but smoother.

I blame the media.

P.S. I just saw St. Vincent, Black Lips, Good English, Flaming Lips, and a bunch of other awesome bands a few weeks ago. Good times. If you can ever justify a trip to southern Ohio, NMF is the finest music festival you can attend. It's a good mix of hippie country and garage rock, kid friendly, and a good crowd, but not too many people. This year, they even started getting good food to match the good beer. Check out this roster: http://www.nelsonvillefest.org/2015-artists.html
  • I am aware of this stereotype of people's tastes getting ossified at a particular moment in their history so I'm pretty careful to avoid that, lest I get stuck in some sad rut of only listening to 90s indie rock. I've found I'm more open minded about music now than I ever was before so I'll listen to just about any genre (still can't quite embrace mainstream country), probably in large part due to other people's Spotify playlists. It's kind of am amazing time to be interested in music since it's so accessible. 
  • I can't say that my musical tastes have changed that much, but I can definitely say that I've dropped artists I previously enjoyed when they suddenly went all squishy soft and started playing things that sounded like a Kenny Loggins album. (I'm looking at YOU, Iron & Wine. You started out squishy and you went rotten.) 

Rebecca and I still go to at least two or three big multi big-name artist shows or music festivals a year, usually definitely including Austin City Limits and Old Settler's Music Fest, and sometimes adding FunFunFun or some other random big show. At stuff like ACL we don't usually go to the big headlining acts at night. We're usually going to the smaller acts that are playing all afternoon and early evening and then we split when the big acts come on because who the hell wants to stand in that many people. 

We're 35 and the only thing that's really changed about our musucal tastes is that we like big crowds of people less. 
  • Speaking of ossification, I had a lump in my sternum and I broke out the anatomy book to find out what was there, and what is there is called the xiphoid process, I go on to read "Ossification of the xiphoid process occurs around age 40" and was like FUCK YOUUUUUUU
  • edited June 2015
    It is sort of blowing my mind that lately this group is talking about all the ways we're getting old. I've known you people since I was a stupid 21 year old (I think that was about the age I got into Redcricket).

Recently I was at Target looking for shorts and I had a moment where I was like KIDS THESE DAYS, WEARING SHORTS WITH GIANT HOLES IN THEM. AND THEY'RE TOO SHORT. AND THEY'RE STONEWASHED. THIS IS CRAP! I'M NOT GOING TO WEAR THIS CRAP! GET OFF MY LAWN.
  • Also, in my old age I'm getting more into pop music, which feels a bit backwards. I used to be a harsher critic and now I'm more accepting of brain/ear/eye candy.
  • I know, Spot, it is strange. I remember when Andrew and Karen sent me the "off to college care package." 

Y'all have been a part of the entirety of my adult life. 
  • I'm actually the other way. I'm fine with shredded up shorty shorts but don't understand youth fascination with mom jeans.
  • I enjoy the mom jean popularity although I don't wear them. it's really a 50s thing anyway.

I've spent more than half of my life (as of this year) interacting with this community...
  • anybody know when the glassdog forums folded? Need to do some quick math.
  • Man... google thinks 2000. My timeline is fucked. I could have sworn I was only like 21 or so.
  • Honestly I was just wondering what was up with Michelle these days - http://mlkshk.com/p/4STL
  • Yes, we'd been on RedCricket for at least a few months (if not longer) by August of 2000.
  • Karl, oh damn!
  • Normcore, embrace it.