Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

In this Discussion

tv reccs

Amo Narcos.

It's tying together patches of related news I can recall from the '80s.  I am stunned to hear about some of the shit that went down.

Comments

• I have been watching a show on Netflix called Still Game where a town full of aging Scottish people all swear at each other. All of the dullest television is better when it has an accent and curses.

I have also been watching Adam Ruins Everything and it's extremely tightly written... just a nonstop barrage of jokes and jokes and jokes interspersed with some controversial information.
  • Wow, Adam Ruins Everything's pretty good.
  • Halt and Catch Fire recently. I like it because I like the lead guy, but I have trouble getting over the show is about stupid computers.

Other stuff recently, Minority Report, Muppets, Dark Matter. Started Hereos Reborn, but you can't fool me twice Heroes. 
  • I have been enjoying Longmire. it's surprisingly good for an A&E show (we're not at the Netflix season yet.) its the most Native actors I've seen in one place since North of 60...
  • Red Oak and Hand of God on Amazon Prime are pretty good.

Also The Grinder (Rob Lowe) is a lot funnier than I expected
  • Big fan of Longmire... Only halfway through he Netflix season.

Surprisingly enjoying Muppets.

Very sad Rick and Morty's season is over.

Enjoying Doctor Who again.

• I'm sitting here doing a little work and watching the current Flash series in the background. 

What have I become?!
  • I just finished the first season of iZombie, which I would recommend if you enjoyed Veronica Mars at all.

It's pretty much just like that. Only with zombies. And that works much better than you might think...

Also: if you did not enjoy Veronica Mars, we are officially no longer on speaking terms.
  • I have never watched Veronica Mars. Does that make our status indeterminate, or am I blacklisted until I watch said show and enjoy it?
  • For about a year now, I thought I had reached "peak entertainment" (or the reverse of?), where I couldn't possibly catch up with all the shows, Tubes, and games I really wanted to experience.

But then my standards kept ratcheting up (sorry, Vikings) and I feel like I'm scraping the barrel again, awaiting new seasons of Broad City, Major Lazer, and a bunch others.

I'd gratefully pay good money for a new series on par with Six Feet Under or The Wire, adjusted for expectations-inflation.
  • I had no idea major lazer had a show
  • It's fun and feels extra-right when viewed stoned, as I believe it's meant to be.

Re: iZombie -- I was skeptical until about 5 minutes in; I'm down with it because innovations.  (I was so, so wrong to think back in 2007 that Americans had had their fill of the genre when a writer told me that's what he was specializing in.)
  • Oh shit, I forgot there are new episodes of Fargo!
  • > I had no idea major lazer had a show

You posted one of the episodes, if memory serves me right, which it probably DOESN'T.

It had a Harlem Beat puppy.
  • ( I posted that episode (in one of the "random vid" threads, I think). )
  • ohhhhh right you are
  • I'll offer a third for Longmire. I'm not sure why that show is so good, but it is really, really good.
  • I went to high school with the guy who plays Ferg.  He was a year or two behind me - I'm not sure I can watch the show because of that.
  • we finally got to the Netflix season of Longmire and now they have a renewal for s5. woo hoo!

in reading the renewal news I saw that it was a&e's second highest rated show when they dumped it, because not enough people under 35 watched it. lol. RIP network tv
  • Weird, it's like why did they even make it then? 

There's no way in hell it was intended for the 18-35 demo. 
  • Hey I've been watching iZombie and like it just fine! (I liked Veronica Mars, too.)

My favorite TV lately has been anything British involving a moody detective inspector with a shady past and damp, sweeping, desolate landscapes. Bonus when if they hit the setting as character and pinboard covered in crime scene photos and string tropes. 
  • The 100.
  • edited November 2015
    Oh, that reminds me: the Returned is on Netflix, but it's the original French Les Revenants and it is wonderful. Sort of like a French Sweet Hereafter except with undead. Or something.
  • I just started watching Mr. Robot and like it quite a lot.
  • Jessica Jones is pretty good... It's Daredevil good... Maybe a little better. That means it's like 1/10th the budget and 10 times better than Agents of SHIELD. 
  • Catastrophe is smart and funny -- a compelling combination of bearable acerbic and cringe humor between a modern American every(ish)man and an Irish woman who mostly doesn't give af.
  • Detectorist is a quirky and heart-warming british comedy about a group of people who hunt for 'buried treasure' with metal detectors.
  • I tried with that show but I think Gareth from the Office doesn't work well for me as that character. Either that or the british version of heartwarming doesn't really sit well with me. I think I just expect everything to be mean spirited loser-comedy now and can't parse anything else.
  • I also enjoyed Detectorists. However, I never saw the British Office and so don't have any associations...

We just watched Love - it's a Neflix original and it's pretty good. It probably helps if, like me, you're half-in-love with Gillian Jacobs.